Books - Written by Arthur Hughes - 1 Comment
Successful E-mail Marketing Strategies
Strategic Database Marketing
by Arthur Middleton Hughes and Arthur Sweetser
In Successful E-mail Marketing Strategies, from Hunting to Farming, Arthur Middleton Hughes, email marketing strategist and Arthur Sweetser, chief marketing officer of the e-mail service provider, e-Dialog, take readers through a step-by-step approach to implementing database-marketing essentials to improve e-mail’s marketing returns intelligently. Hughes is traditional database marketing’s Great Explainer. Among his achievements was founding the Database Marketing Institute in 1994, which in six years gave two-day seminars to 1,400 database marketing executives. He has a way of explaining concepts such as cost per order and average lifetime value—staples of database marketing—so everyone can understand, calculate and put them to use. He also understands everybody’s got a lot to do, resources are tight and radically retooling direct marketing programs is not often possible. His writings reflect that understanding by offering suggestions on simple steps marketers can take immediately to get headed down the right path.
Sweetser is no slouch either. Like Hughes, he has more than 20 years experience in direct marketing, many of them at S&H Greenpoints. He also did stints at Gearon Hoffman Advertising in Boston and Ogilvy and Mather where he worked on national accounts, such as American Express, Nynex, AMD Sony Professional Products and Bank of Boston. Hughes and Sweetser have the perfect backgrounds to deliver much-needed database-marketing advice to e-mail managers while taking into account the channel’s differences from traditional direct marketing.
The book’s from-hunting-to-farming thesis contends that those who cultivate their customer e-mail lists using database marketing—the minority of marketers these days—can spot and exploit profitable list segments and send messages to them that result in higher opens, clicks and conversion rates than those who blast their entire files.
“Successful Marketing Strategies” doesn’t just tell readers they should send relevant e-mail. It explains how to achieve relevance and measure it. It explains old-school concepts such as how to market using recency, frequency and monetary value. It explains calculating customer lifetime value and the cost to acquire a new customer, and how to use that information in easy-to-understand terms. It also covers topics unique to e-mail marketing, such as crafting effective subject lines and harnessing the power of transactional messages. Besides being extremely timely, “Successful Marketing Strategies” is highly readable and, most importantly, useful. And that’s the best compliment a trade book can receive.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.
More In Articles
- How to Do Your Own Market Research & Identify Your Ideal Customer
- Email Strategy Study Group
- Why 21 Links Could Be Key to Your Email Success
- Why do e-mails bounce?
- How does frequency of e-mails affect open, click and conversion rates?
More In Telecom Articles
- Glossary of Telecom Marketing Terms
- Telecom Marketing Issue 01
- Creative Destruction Hits Telecom
- Case Study: Wireless Churn Reduction
- HDTV Bandwidth Requirements
More In Speeches
- Targeted Addressable Advertising Using Digital TV
- Speech on Distance Selling delivered in Athens, Greece by Arthur Middleton Hughes on December 15 2009
- Speech by Arthur Middleton Hughes on How to Retain Insurance Customers Delivered in Philadelphia to PIMA on November 17 2009
- Surviving the Recession Surviving the Recession with E-mail Marketing
- Online Marketing: Driving Traffic, Conversion and Sales